Former Canby Planning Commissioner Shawn Lee Hensley 46 arrested in August 2016 after a grand jury indictment on alleged sexual assault has plead guilty to first degree attempted sexual abuse and two counts of assault

Clackamas County Circuit Court documents show Hensley, who provided an address in Woodburn as his residence, will spend 48 months in prison, but could receive less time for good behavior. CLACKAMAS COUNTY SHERIFFS - Shawn Lee Hensley

The charges Hensley plead guilty to carry maximum sentences of five years and a $125,000 fine (attempted sexual abuse), and one year each with a $6,250 fine (assault).

Hensley originally was indicted Aug. 11 by a grand jury on five charges: first-degree unlawful sexual penetration, first-degree sexual abuse, second-degree sexual abuse, fourth-degree assault and harassment. He was arrested with bail set at $250,000, and he posted $25,000 bond on Aug. 24. Terms of his release conditions included not leaving the state without prior court approval.

After being released, Hensley was apprehended Saturday, Sept. 24 by Port of Portland police while attempting to leave the state, violating the terms of his release agreement. A Sept. 26 affidavit signed by Clackamas County Deputy District Attorney Sarah Vogel says Hensley was arrested after passing through the Portland International Airport security checkpoint.

Hensley was in possession of a one-way ticket to California and $1,000 cash. A report of the incident at PDX, written by Sheriff's Deputy Curtis Kessler, said Hensley was in possession of a boarding pass at the time of his arrest. The affidavit says Hensley signed a security release agreement saying he understood he could not leave the state.

Defense attorney Shannon Kmetic said during a Clackamas County Circuit Court hearing that Hensley admitted he was planning to fly to Sacramento to pick up a friend, one Vivian Hodgkinson of Meridian, Idaho, and drive back to Oregon. The two had reservations in two towns for their trip north, including Newport, Ore. on Sept. 26 — the same day Hensley had a court hearing scheduled to discuss visitation with his children.

Hensley submitted a letter of resignation to the city of Canby in early September 2016, which was obtained by the Herald, citing his relocation to Woodburn as his reason.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine