Featured Stories

Boys lacrosse: The Cascade Cup likely looms following loss to Clackamas

Clackamas pulls ahead in the fourth quarter to defeat Canby

HERALD PHOTO: COREY BUCHANAN - Canby boys lacrosse player Zakary Bailey unfurls a shot on goal against Clackamas.

The Canby boys lacrosse team was in desperate need of a win over Clackamas Tuesday, May 9.

With the Cougars hovering on the playoff bubble and awaiting games against Lakeridge and West Linn in its final two games of the season, the Clackamas game would be their best shot at victory.

And, in a deliberate, defensive-oriented contest, Canby hung in there with Clackamas until the final whistle but a lack of fourth quarter scoring sunk the Cougars.

Clackamas and Canby entered the fourth quarter knotted 6-6 but the Cavaliers won the fourth quarter 2-0 and completed the series sweep.

The Cavaliers established the tempo of the game early – patiently passing the ball around the field for elongated periods before finding an opening.

And the strategy worked. Clackamas scored two goals within in the first five minutes of the game and took a 2-0 lead while Canby goalkeeper Garrett Netter aptly fended off five shots on goal to keep the Cougars in the game.

The Cougars then got back in the game and took advantage of Clackamas penalties.

With the Cavaliers down a man, Canby's Zakary Bailey (below) found open space near the goal off of a pass from Ronan Gay and rifled the ball through the net to narrow the Cougars deficit to 2-1 with 2:17 remaining in the first quarter.

After Clackamas took a 3-1 lead midway through the second quarter, another Canby man-advantage produced another goal. In this scenario, Gay found Nate McDonald to the left of the goal and McDonald lofted his shot near the right post and into the goal.

To tie the game 4-4 at halftime, the Cougars found two rare moments of open space and notched their most potent scoring stretch of the game.

With 51 seconds left in the first half, Canby caught the Clackamas defense off guard on a breakaway and Tayvn Jorgensen effortlessly pierced the ball through the net after a pass from McDonald.

Then with 41 seconds left, Jacob Huggins scooped up a ground ball after a face off, dashed up the field and found McDonald. McDonald then finished the job.

The two teams traded goals twice in the third quarter.

Clackamas scored the opening goal of the half to take a 5-4 lead, Jorgensen scored to tie the game 5-5, the Cavaliers scored again to take a 6-5 lead and then Jorgensen fired home a goal with a Clackamas player hanging on his back to tie the game 6-6 with 1:59 left in the third quarter.

But Clackamas dominated possession in the fourth quarter and produced a pair of goals to escape the road contest with an 8-6 win.

The loss will in all likelihood mean the Cougars will be a low seed in the Cascade Cup tournament instead of a high seed in the state playoffs. The Cougars won the Cascade Cup in 2016.