Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Two missing men found unharmed


Two Prineville men who went missing in Ochoco National Forest Sunday night were located unharmed the following afternoon.

On Sunday, Feb. 23, at approximately 11:50 p.m., officers from the Prineville Police Department took a report of a missing person/overdue motorist from the Prineville area.

It was reported that William Long, age 52 of Prineville, and John Harrison, age 69 also of Prineville, had left town at approximately 9:30 a.m., and planned on returning home by 3 p.m..

The pair had informed family and friends that they were going to the McKay area in the Ochoco National Forest to look for wildlife. It was further reported that the two were travelling in Long’s silver Ford Ranger. They did not take any food or water with them and they were not dressed for the weather.

Crook County Search and Rescue was activated and had several volunteers respond to the area. In addition, search and rescue contacted the Oregon National Guard and they sent a helicopter to the area to assist in the search.

The next day, at approximately 1:19 p.m., members from the Crook County Search and Rescue located Long and Harrison on Forest Service Road 2710 in the Highland Flats area approximately 18-20 miles north of Prineville.

They were uninjured and did not require any medical attention. It was determined that the vehicle Long and Harrison were traveling in had the clutch go out, and they became stranded.

In this case Long and Harrison let friends and relatives know the general area they were planning on going to. This was very important as it gave Search and Rescue volunteers a general area to begin searching. However, the Sheriff’s Office would like to remind everyone that this time of year travel in the forest can still be very hazardous and treacherous. Always plan ahead, tell someone the route you are planning on taking and stick to that route. Always remember to bring a cell phone, food, water, clothing and blankets in case you have to spend the night.

The Sheriff’s Office was assisted in this case by the Prineville Police Department, and the National Guard.