St. Peter's Lutheran Church will celebrate 135 years of religious celebration this Sunday, Aug. 13, at the church campus, 4265 S.W. Golf Course Road in Cornelius.
Church parishioners invite the public to join in a celebratory service at 10:30 a.m. A luncheon will follow.
The church started in 1881 when the Western District of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod sent a missionary to the Portland area. Rev. Edward Doering, a pastor from Cook County, Ill., traveled by steamboat from San Francisco, Calif., and arrived in Portland in September 1881. Pastor Doering's first sermon was in a log cabin with eight people attending.
St. Peter's has grown since then with a new, larger church building built in the 1980s and the Forest Hills Lutheran Christian School operating on the campus.