A recap of what happened that terrible day at Reynolds High

It was a gorgeous next-to-last day of school Tuesday morning, with students on the verge of finishing finals and setting out for summer break.

Seniors already had wound down their time at Reynolds High School, with graduation scheduled for Thursday night.

On Tuesday, June 10, Jared Michael Padgett, 15, left his home in Rockwood, carrying a gym bag and guitar case.

Padgett boarded the school bus. Students asked him about the additional gear, but didn’t notice anything suspicious.

He was part of the Junior ROTC and said he was carrying his uniform.

Padgett arrived at Reynolds High and entered the boys’ locker room. There, Padgett dressed in a non-ballistic vest used for carrying ammunition, put on a camouflage multi-sport helmet and took out an AR-15 rifle, obtained from his family home. He also had a semiautomatic handgun and large knife, neither of which was used.

Emilio Hoffman, a well loved 14-year-old freshman with a passion for soccer, happened to cross Padgett’s path, just after 8 a.m. As shots rang out in the boys locker room, students thought it was fireworks.

At 8:07 a.m., police responded to a report of shots fired at Reynolds High School.

Padgett had murdered Hoffman, his high school classmate — someone officials believe had no connection to the shooter. They still have not discussed a possible motive for the murder.

Medical Examiner Dr. Larry Lewman determined Padgett shot Hoffman twice in the chest with the rifle.

Teacher and former coach Todd Rispler encountered Padgett in the locker room. As he fled, Rispler was grazed by a bullet on his hip. He made his way to the office, where he was able to notify administration and initiate an immediate lockdown.

“This is not a drill — this is a real lockdown!” students such as junior Parrish Broadous-Crawford heard. Stunned, they ran into classrooms and huddled in the far corners of the rooms.

Broadous-Crawford described a sense of confusion as the reality of the shooting set in.

As the shooter moved through the main hallway, officers entered from two separate doorways. Padgett moved to a small restroom, where officials believe he died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Officials believe that Rispler and the responding officers played a huge role in saving many lives, given the weapons and amount of ammunition the shooter was carrying.

Multiple agencies and tactical teams evacuated students, having them hold their hands over their heads and transporting them to the Wood Village Fred Meyer for reunification with their parents.

Officers searching students for weapons after the fatal shooting at Reynolds High School arrested a man “in the area of the school” who had a handgun.

Joseff Powell, 21, of Gresham was searched and booked into the Multnomah County jail for unlawful possession of a firearm.

No link has been found between Powell and the Reynolds shooting investigation, according to a press release from the city of Troutdale.

Buses, police cars, reporters and pacing parents on cell phones — looking for their children — filled the Wood Village Fred Meyer parking lot in the aftermath of Tuesday’s shooting.

Tears and chaos enveloped the crowd as people tried to make sense of the morning and sought the latest updates. Store managers and employees offered some comfort, sharing water bottles and food with distraught families.

Community leaders were in disbelief Tuesday and Wednesday, speaking candidly before somber crowds gathered outside the Cherry Park Safeway and Troutdale Police Department for press conferences.

Troutdale Police Chief Scott Anderson called the shooting a tragic day for the Reynolds and Troutdale community, and said an investigation was active and ongoing.

Reynolds Superintendent Linda Florence said graduation would go on for Reynolds High, and the district would sponsor a candlelight vigil at Reynolds High School on Tuesday, June 19, in the practice field behind the school.

Troutdale Mayor Doug Daoust called the shooting an emotional nightmare but said the community outpouring has been amazing.

“You should have seen the candles being held up … in the darkness,” Daoust said. “It was overwhelming.”

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine