Molalla Fire District Chief Vince Stafford said the smoke was due to a ceased up fan from an air conditioning unit in the attic of the building, something that happens fairly often this time of the year once the weather warms up.
"It gets pretty common this time of year when [air conditioners] start working really hard," Stafford said. "So make sure to change the filters on them and then change them again in the fall when your furnace starts up; we see that at different times of the year that they get caught up."
Stafford said there was no fire, just the odor of smoke that didn't even trigger a fire alarm.
He said firefighters had to go through the area with a thermal imager to locate the source of the smoke, turn off the power to the air conditioning unit, take it apart, and make sure there was nothing smoldering inside of it.
There were no injuries and the building did not need to be formally evacuated.
Just before 3 p.m. on Tuesday, June 20, officials from the Molalla Fire District responded to a commercial fire at Evergreen Court Residential Care Facility on Kennel Avenue in Molalla.
At around 3:03 p.m., one official said there was smoke in the attic of the building as folks slowly trickled out of the front entryway to give the fire crews room to work.
A group of firefighters made its way onto the roof of the building to access the vent shafts, and one could be heard saying "I can smell it near this vent," presumably meaning the smoke from the attic mentioned earlier.
No injuries have yet been reported.
More information will be added as it becomes available.
Sports Reporter/News Contributor
503-829-2301 ext. 341
Follow us on Twitter
Like Us on Facebook
Visit Us on Instagram