Check parade schedules for traffic closures in Molalla over July 4 weekend
Buckeroo week 2017 is just around the corner, and here are some important reminders for all to remember, whether or not you plan to participate or attend.
The two events that impact traffic flow and accessibility are the Kiddie Parade on Saturday evening, July 1 at 6 pm, and the Giant Street Parade on Tuesday morning, July 4.
Remember, the Giant Street Parade is opened up and preceded by the 5th annual Freedom 5K Run.
"We are looking forward to great times of celebration this year, but to make things go as efficiently as possible, we must all pay attention to the times for these events and plan ahead to avoid conflicts," said Molalla Police Chief Rod Lucich.
The dates and times for the closures:
The Kiddie Parade will start at 6 pm on Saturday night. Just prior to the start of the parade, streets will begin to close down as the parade progresses.
If you wait until the last minute to get to your destination you may have trouble getting there on time.
The parade lasts about an hour and the route is as follows:
- SB on N. Cole from Frances St.
- WB on Heintz St. to Grange Ave.
- SB on Grange to Main St.
- WB Main St. to Molalla Ave.
- NB Molalla Ave. to Heintz and done. (Participants proceed to disband via Frances or Shirley).
The Freedom 5K Run will begin at 9:15 am on Tuesday morning and the Giant Parade will begin as soon as the tail end of the run passes the parade starting point (as close to 9:20 as possible). The run and the parade use the same route.
"The import thing to understand about the July 4th parade is, because of safety for the runners and walkers, the route cannot be closed down as it progresses," Lucich said.
The route must be secure prior to the start and it will close by 9 am without exception. If you live in the core parade area and you have need to leave your home, you should plan to do it by 8:30 am, just to be safe. The parade should last about 2 and one-half hours, depending on the number of entries.
Here is the route for the run and parade:
- The run starts at Eckerd Field and crosses E. Main St. at Cole Ave.
- NB on Cole Ave. to Heintz St. (turning in front of parade waiting to begin)
- WB Heintz to Grange Ave.
- SB Grange Ave. to Robbins St.
- WB Robbins St. to Molalla Ave.
- NB Molalla Ave. to Toliver Rd.
- WB Toliver to Ridings Ave.
- SB Ridings Ave. to Main St.
- EB Main St. to S. Cole Ave and finished.
"Thank you in advance for your cooperation," Lucich said. "If we all plan ahead, we can make this year's festivities a wonderful time to remember."