Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Shop lost in Culver fire

Loss estimated at $44,000
A Culver shop on Southwest Smith Lane was lost in an blaze that began at 11:34 p.m., Saturday.
   According to Jefferson County Fire Chief Brian Huff, "The fire was started by oily rage in a plastic wheelbarrow that had other combustibles mixed in."
   The loss was estimated at $44,000 for the unattached, two-bay shop owned by Charles and Virginia Doughtery of Culver.
   "The fire started on the outside and burned up the wall. The pressure caused propane to be released from a tank and it ignited and caught the inside of the shop on fire up into the attic," Huff said.
   Two career, and six volunteer fire personnel responded and quickly knocked down the flames. Firefighters spent a total of three hours at the scene.
   



Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

35°F

Madras

Partly Cloudy

Humidity: 76%

Wind: 3 mph

  • 23 Nov 2014

    Partly Cloudy 46°F 29°F

  • 24 Nov 2014

    Mostly Cloudy 50°F 43°F