Relatives near bomb blasts

by: BILLY GATES - Jamie HurdAfter finishing the Boston Marathon on Monday, Madras resident Jamie Hurd received her medal of completion, but she never thought it would serve as a memory of tragedy.

One of the top marathons in the entire world was marred by two explosions that rocked the race near the finish line about 2:50 p.m. Eastern time, and Hurd's family was dangerously close to where it all happened.

"It's all just surreal," she said. "We were all just trying to absorb what happened afterward. We really couldn't do much."

Hurd crossed the finish line of the race at 1:52 p.m., according to the Boston Athletic Association race tracker, which was about an hour before the homemade bombs detonated. Her brother Robert Thayer, and his wife Jeana, were less than 100 feet from the blast zone.

by: BILLY GATES - Jamie Hurd competed in the Boston Marathon on Monday, but finished nearly an hour before bombs exploded.Hurd said she had received a text message saying they had finished, which was at 2:47 p.m., moments after the explosions that killed three people and injured more than 140 people.

"We couldn't get ahold of them for about two hours, things were just so crazy," Hurd said. "To think if they would have stopped to tie their shoes or something, making them closer to when all of that happened. The what-ifs are just incredible."

Hurd said after she finished, and was ushered toward a recovery zone, it was just like another race. She had to fight through a little bit of a crowd since a big group of the 27,000 runners finished around the same time, but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

When the family went to get on the subway to head back to their hotel, however, was when it started to unravel.

Operations personnel in the subway found two suspicious looking items, ones that Hurd said were called "bombs," and everyone in the subway was evacuated without incident, but sadly, that wasn't the case for the race participants and spectators that fell victim to the blasts.

Investigators say they found more undetonated explosive devices along the course, just another part of what President Barack Obama called "a heinous and cowardly act."

Hurd said the scene following the pandamonium didn't seem real.

"People were walking the streets just shell-shocked," she said. "People couldn't get into their homes, no one could call out on their cell phones and no one could go on the streets," she said.

Thankfully, once Hurd had located her brother and sister-in-law, and everyone was safe, they made it to their hotel room, which was about three miles from the marathon finish line.

"God was definitely looking out for us," Hurd said. "This race is such an incredible event, and for something like this to happen just breaks my heart. I don't even want to put my medal on."

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine