Burglary suspect injured in shooting


OSP investigates incident

by: HOLLY M. GILL - A LifeFlight helicopter flies over the Sunny Ridge Ranch sign after a several hour manhunt northeast of Madras. The armed suspect was shot by an Oregon State Police sergeant.A man who eluded police for several hours Friday, before an exchange of gunfire, was upgraded to serious condition Monday at St. Charles Bend.

Oregon State Police on Monday identified the man as Zande Joshua Barnacascel, who also goes by Joshua Samual Waddington, 56, a convicted felon and registered sex offender with an outstanding Montana warrant for violating his probation on a felony burglary charge.

by: SUBMITTED PHOTO - Zande Joshua BarnacascelThe incident began around 2:15 p.m., when the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office received a burglary report from a woman who arrived at her home on Fern Lane, west of U.S. Highway 97, about four miles north of Madras, and saw a man inside the residence.

When the man fled the scene, an Oregon State Police trooper responded to assist the sheriff's office and spotted the vehicle, which he attempted to pursue.

"After about five minutes, the trooper decided to terminate the pursuit and lost sight of the vehicle on farm property," Lt. Gregg Hastings, public information officer, reported.

For the next couple of hours, the sheriff's office, state police, and Madras and Warm Springs police departments searched for the man who abandoned the sport utility vehicle he had been driving and fled into a wooded area. The JCSO activated a search and rescue airplane to assist in the search, and the man was seen in the area east of U.S. Highway 97, near Northeast Dogwood Lane and Northeast Darrar Drive.

Around 4 p.m., Dick Porter, who owns the Sunny Ridge Ranch on Northeast Dogwood Lane, said that two state police cars came up his driveway, and told him that a fugitive had been seen on the hill near his home.

While the officers stood near their vehicles, he walked to his covered arena and noticed a movement on the hill to the north. "I watched the spot and saw this guy step out and move behind another tree," said Porter, who had been looking for a man wearing a red plaid shirt. Instead, he observed a man was wearing a white T-shirt in the warm afternoon sun, and informed the police officers.

By then, there were three officers, who had binoculars and a shotgun.

The man hadn't seen the officers, and started toward the arena. "The guy was traveling from east to west, coming right toward us," said Porter. "The next thing we heard, the police were yelling, 'Police, police. Get down on the ground.'"

The man, later identified as Barnacascel, turned and ran the other way, with police following him.

Porter and his wife watched as the man went around the hill and disappeared from sight, with the officers behind him. "Then we heard the shooting: one shot, then two shots close together, and then another," said Porter, noting that the police told him the man had started shooting at them before they fired back.

During the incident, police reported that the fugitive had been shot more than once. The officer who fired the shotgun was Sgt. Mike Turner, who was not injured in the encounter.

"As is standard protocol in officer-involved shooting investigations, he was placed on paid administrative leave pending the ongoing investigation and review by the Jefferson County District Attorney's Office.

Turner, 35, has worked for OSP since 1999, and is currently assigned to the Bend Area Command Patrol Services Division.

Officers provided emergency care to Barnacascel until he was transported by air ambulance to St. Charles Bend.