Sex abuse brings long sentence


Driscoll DavisA Madras man, who admitted sexually abusing two young girls a decade ago, has been sentenced to 90 months in prison.

Driscoll Dale Davis, 38, a Warm Springs tribal member, pleaded guilty in August 2013 to two counts of sexual abuse of a minor involving two girls between the years of 2004-2006, when the girls were between 12 and 15 years of age.

Davis was indicted on the charges in November 2012, four years after his older brother, Darrell Derrick Davis, was sentenced on two counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a minor, for the abuse of the same two girls, when the brothers were living in Warm Springs.

His older brother was sentenced in 2009 to 15 years and eight months in prison, and remains in prison.

In 2006, according to Craig Gabriel, assistant U.S. attorney, who is prosecuting the case, "the girls were removed from the homes and put in CPS (Child Protective Services) foster care."

Driscoll Davis was sentenced Jan. 15, in the U.S. District Court in Portland, to seven and one-half years of prison for each count, although the sentences will run concurrently. Judge Anna J. Brown handed down the sentence, which will be followed by five years of supervised release.

Davis must register as a sex offender, have no contact with the victims, and not consume alcohol or enter a bar where liquor is sold, among other conditions.

"The defendant's abuse has scarred and wounded the victims in unimaginable ways," Gabriel said, adding that their suffering continues.

"The victims support the plea agreement in this case; however, their childhood was so dark — they experienced so much evil — that their lives as young women are in turmoil and they continue to search for healing," he noted.

"One of the victims gave a victim impact statement to the court at the sentencing hearing and told Judge Brown how much Driscoll had hurt them and said both she and her sister still have a lot of healing to do," said Gabriel.

The reason the prosecution of Driscoll Davis was delayed, Gabriel explained, was because the victims were traumatized by the trial of Darrell Davis, "and they weren't sure they could go through that again."

"Even though the sexual abuse took place eight to 10 years ago, Mr. Davis was still brought to justice, and that should serve as a message to anyone who would harm children that its never too late to prosecute them for sex crimes," said Gabriel.

Driscoll Davis, who is not currently in custody, must surrender to the Federal Bureau of Prisons on Feb. 14.