At house in Metolius

by: MARC HECKATHORN - Members of the Oregon State Police SWAT team have guns drawn as they prepare to take Brent Waldorf into custody on Sunday morning at a house in Metolius. Waldorf was arrested on numerous charges after allegedly eluding police in a car and on foot.A car and foot chase culminated in a small house fire and the arrest of two people Sunday morning in Metolius.

Brent Waldorf, 23, of Madras, was taken into custody March 23, by an Oregon State Police SWAT team, outside a residence in the 500 block of Washington Street in Metolius.

Waldorf was arrested on two felony warrants for attempting to elude in Wasco County and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, possession of a stolen vehicle, felony attempting to elude and reckless driving in Jefferson County, as well as a new charge of felony attempting to elude in a vehicle, misdemeanor attempting to elude on foot, reckless driving and first-degree arson.

by: SUBMITTED PHOTO - Brent WaldorfThe incident began around 7 a.m., when an OSP trooper attempted to stop a 1992 four-door Honda Civic for disobeying a stop sign on the southeast side of Madras.

Police reported that the driver failed to yield, attempted to elude the officer by driving through a field, across Madras, and onto Highway 361 in the Metolius area.

"About 10 minutes later, the male and female occupants abandoned the car in an alley and fled on foot," reported Lt. Gregg Hastings, public information officer for Oregon State Police.

With the help of the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office and Warm Springs Police Department, OSP tracked the two to the residence in Metolius. "Contact with the residence owners confirmed the two suspects were inside trying to hide," said Hastings.

Because police believed that the male suspect was Waldorf, who was thought to be armed and was wanted on felony warrants, OSP brought in the SWAT team from Central Oregon and the Willamette Valley.

When members of the team arrived, they entered the home, located Waldorf and Challis Sharei Heath, 23, of Warm Springs, and arrested the two around 10:15 a.m.

A fire, which had been set in the kitchen, was put out with fire extinguishers.

On Monday, all charges were dropped for Heath, who was initially arrested for first-degree arson, felony attempting to elude in a vehicle, misdemeanor attempting to elude on foot, and reckless driving.

Waldorf's earlier charges resulted from a July 2012 incident when Waldorf, on a stolen motorcycle, led police on a chase on U.S. Highway 97, from near the Crooked River Gorge through Madras, crisscrossing the city before ditching the bike and fleeing on foot. He was located and arrested more than an hour after the start of the pursuit, which reached speeds up to 90 mph.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine