Burning restrictions imposed
With the warm weather and drying conditions, and to be consistent with the other Central Oregon fire agencies, Jefferson County Fire District No.1 will be imposing its summer burning restrictions.
The fire district will not allow any open residential or commercial burning of yard debris, grass, or other waste after June 18.
The burning of paper/wood products in an approved burning barrel is permitted, beginning at dawn, but it must be out by 10 a.m.
By following some simple tips on burn barrel safety and construction, you can help ensure that you are Fire Safe.
- Use only approved burn barrels.
- Locate barrel a minimum of 15 feet from combustible materials.
- Maintain a 10-foot minimum cleared area around barrel (no grass or weeds).
- Use a heavy mesh screen on top to reduce flying embers.
- Never leave your fire unattended.
- Have a garden hose available at all times.
Remember that burning is a privilege and extreme caution shall be exercised by the homeowner when burning. If you have any questions regarding the summer restrictions on burning, call the fire station at 475-7274 during regular business hours.
"Let's all do our part in keeping our communities Fire Safe through the summer months," said Fire Chief Brian Huff.