Three displaced by house fire
Three Madras adults were helped by Red Cross following a house fire June 28, on Deschutes Drive.
According to Kasey Skaar, of the Jefferson County Fire District, firefighters responded to the fire at 5:40 p.m.
"It was a manufactured home, and the fire had gone into the roof and attic. They lost the roof, but were able to save the rest of the house," Skaar said.
"We had a limited crew, due to two other wildland fires happening at the same time, and it was windy," he added. Skaar said cigarettes are believed to have been the cause of the fire.
The Red Cross is helping the three displaced adults with immediate needs, including temporary housing, food, clothing, information about recovery services, and health and mental health services.
Meanwhile, firefighters were busy tackling the two other fires.
Skaar said a pickup that backfired sparked a 4 1/2-acre fire on Elk Drive, which began at 3:53 p.m.
"Structures were threatened, but we were able to catch it," he said.
Then at 6:03 p.m., a brush fire, started by juveniles playing with a torch, burned a one-acre area on Cora Drive. "It almost burned a pumphouse, but we stopped it," Skaar said.