This year, Jefferson County Relay is recognizing two people who are fighting cancer, one who is a cancer survivor, and is honoring the memory of a patient who has been lost to cancer.

Stories of cancer survivor Cherie Gaddis and fighter Minda Morton were featured last week. This week, the story of fighter Teresa Carroll is shared and the memory of Jere Osborn.

Teresa Tompsett Carroll

Teresa CarrollI was born Oct. 15, 1960, in Prineville because Madras didn’t have a hospital. I graduated in 1978, and in 1982, married my classmate Greg Carroll. I have two children, Jenna and Kelsey; three grandchildren, Alyssa, 10, Haylee, 7 1/2, and Jade, 7.

In the summer of 2012, when we were on vacation, I knew something was wrong. I didn’t have the energy I normally had. Then in September, I got a rash on my breast that didn’t go away.

At the end of the month, I got a mammogram and doctor’s appointment. I got in right away for the mammogram, and got a recall the same day I saw the doctor. I was given antibiotics, assuming it was mastitis (which is common in my type of breast cancer).

The rash didn’t go away, so I got an ultrasound. It showed a lump in my breast and I was asked if I wanted a biopsy. I said, “Yes, the sooner the better.”

On Oct. 22, 2012, I was told I had breast cancer. The next appointment was with a surgeon. Hel told me I had invasive ductal carcinoma and was Herr II positive.

After several tests, I found out it was stage four breast cancer which had metastasized to my sternum and was in my lymph nodes.

I was told I was beyond surgery and needed to go straight to chemotherapy. So, I had surgery to put a port in and started chemo treatments. I was lucky with being Herr II positive, because they had two infusion drugs that helped kill that type of invasive cancer.

The drugs are Herceptin and Perjeta (which was just released in August of 2012), and the chemo drug Taxetare.

I took those drugs every three weeks, and after the third time, was very sick and had neuropathy in my feet.

My oncologist took me off the chemo drug, but kept me on the two cancer killing drugs. I’m still getting infusions of them every three weeks.

In May, I got another petscan which shows cancer activity. It showed the activity in my sternum, and lymph nodes was gone, and the activity in my lump was reduced.

I feel that it was great news and the answer to prayers. I was feeling better with no chemo, and just bothered by neuropathy in my feet.

I now have an option to get a mastectomy, if all goes well, which wasn’t even an option to begin with.

I would like to thank my friends, family and work family for all their help and prayers, and the American Cancer Society for their help with massages, acupuncture, gas cards and information.

I hope my story helps someone else. I always did breast checks, but my lump was so deep that you couldn’t even feel it.

I didn’t realize that the rash was also cancer on the skin of my breasts. I honestly feel that without all the prayer and medication, I wouldn’t be where I am today.

Jere Osborn

Jere Osborn with grandson Jackson.Jere Osborn was born in 1943, to Ralph and Florence Hollenbeck in Bend. She was the second of four children, and spent her child and school years in Bend. She was a proud Lava Bear alumni.

Jere married Rob Osborn in 1966, and they had two daughters, Robi and Jan.


In 2009, Jere was diagnosed with bladder cancer. She underwent a five-and-a-half-hour surgery to remove her bladder and create an Indiana pouch, which was a cutting-edge treatment.

Due to complications, she had to undergo a second surgery. But through all of this, she remained upbeat and never complained.


Jere completed her chemotherapy in mid-March and in late March was declared cancer free.

We felt relieved and looked forward to many more years with our mom, wife, grandma, aunt and friend. However, in early May, an X-ray for a sore hip showed that the cancer had returned.


Surrounded by family, friends and the kindness and care of Mountain View Hospice nurses, Jere died at home on Sept. 14, 2010.


Jere loved her grandchildren Jackson and Brittany, Christmas, travel, wood carving, gardening, camping, playing cards, genealogy and laughing with family and friends.

She talked daily to her best friend, her sister Pat Moyer. She shared a lot of laughter with her good friend, Bobbi Donaghu, who recently passed away from cancer, too.

Jere's family and friends will walk in her memory, and Bobbi's, in this year's Jefferson County Relay For Life.


Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine