Start Making A Reader Today is gearing up for the third annual SMART Art show, sale, and social.
Each year, SMART invites artists young and not-so-young to participate in the art show connected with SMART Art. This year, SMART is inviting the community to take part in the fun by joining the SMART Art activities at the Jefferson County Library, Aug. 20, from 4-6 p.m.
SMART Art at the library is also an opportunity to recruit volunteers for the 2013-2014 program year. Come to the library and find out more about what it takes to be a volunteer for SMART in local schools.
Bring friends, your children or grandchildren and join in an entertaining afternoon of volunteer recruitment and artistic fun.
The goal for this event is to:
· Enlist more SMART volunteers to read with children in local schools (It only takes one hour a week).
· Create some book-inspired art that can be displayed at the regional SMART Art fundraiser in September.
· If you or your child has a favorite childhood book, you can use that story as an inspiration for a one-of-a kind art piece.
· SMART will provide all the materials. All people need is a love of reading and some time to relax and channel their inner artist. Art submitted by children, volunteers and community members will be eligible for prizes at the fundraiser in the fall.
· Can't make it to SMART Art at the Library? No problem. Log onto www.getSMARToregon.org and click on the Call for Submissions link to find out about submitting book-inspired art pieces for SMART Art.