June 15-19, 1955
The Portland Beavers go 6-1 in a weeklong Pacific Coast League set on the road against manager Bobby Bragan's Hollywood Stars.
• The three-hit pitching of Jack Riley, and his RBI squeeze bunt that scored catcher Bob Wallin in the seventh inning, lifts Grant High's American Legion team, Porter-Scarpelli, to a 2-1 victory over Roosevelt (Portland Bolt).
• In a City League baseball game at Westmoreland, Jerry Ross hits a home run that easily cleared the fence in left field (350 feet from home), as Archer Blower and Pipe beat Darigold, 10-0.
• Gary Hval, 17, of Franklin High, wins the 25th annual Oregon Junior golf tournament at Columbia Edgewater. The medalist from Rose City concludes the tourney's five-day run with a 6-and-5 finals victory over defending champion Ron Weber of Prineville.
• The field of about 160 players is set for the 52nd Western Open to start next week at Portland Golf Club. Entries include Sam Snead, Tommy Bolt, Gene Littler and Mike Souchak.
• The University of Oregon's Ken Reiser beats runner-up Jim Beatty and others in the NCAA 2-mile championship. The Ducks' Jim Bailey and Bill Dellinger go 1-2 in the mile before 14,005 at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.