Harlem Globetrotters perform at Roosevelt High
March 6-7, 1959
• Before a crowd of 1,200 at Parkrose High, the Harlem Globetrotters defeat the Washington Generals.
• DePaul edges the Portland Pilots 57-56 in the NCAA playoffs in front of 4,000 fans at the Centennial Exposition Pavilion. UP just misses gaining a berth in the Midwest regional at Lawrence, Kansas.
• Johnny McKay resigns as backfield coach at the University of Oregon to accept a similar position at Southern Cal.
• A set of Sam Snead Wilson woods and irons is on sale at Caplan's for $81.
• Indianapolis-type cars are tuning up at Portland Speedway for the March 15 season opener.
• Sandy wins the Wilco League in basketball, with Wy'east and Scappoose tying for second, followed by Molalla, Parkrose, Reynolds, Jesuit and Silverton.