by: COURTESY OF PORTLAND POLICE BUREAU - The names of Portland police officers James David Wright, left, Gilbert H. Horton, center, and Glenn Logan Litzenberg, will be added to the Portland Police Memorial during a noon ceremony Tuesday, May 14, in Waterfront Park.

Three new names will be added to the Portland Police Memorial Tuesday during a ceremony in Waterfront Park.

The names of Officer Gilbert H. Horton, Officer Glenn Logan Litzenberg and Officer James David Wright will join the memorial that honors 29 Portland police officers killed in the line of duty.

The ceremony is at noon, Tuesday, May 14, at the memorial in the park just south of the Hawthorne Bridge.

The names of Horton, Litzenberg and Wright were added after research by the Portland Police Historical Society, which operates the Portland Police Museum.

Horton was 29 when he was appointed in 1910 to the Portland Police Bureau and assigned to foot patrol in Albina and North Portland. By the 1930s, Officer Horton was in the Traffic Division, driving a patrol car. He worked for many years and in 1946, he was assigned to Union Station. Now 65, he was in ill health, but because of the almost non-existent pension, he couldn't afford to retire.

On Dec. 23, 1946, he had arrested and was removing a drunk and disorderly woman from a train car when he collapsed in the Union Square Lobby.

He died within a few minutes of a heart attack. He left behind an adult daughter.

Officer Litzenberg joined the Portland Police Bureau in March 1915. Officer Litzenberg started on foot patrol, working traffic and enforcing prohibition laws in and out of uniform.

In early 1917, he played center on the Police Benefit and Athletic Association ice hockey team. He joined the brand-new motorcycle squad in the fall 1917.

On April 20, 1918, Litzenberg was on motorcycle patrol, following about 50 yards behind his partner. He was approaching the intersection of East Seventh Avenue and Beech Street when a passenger car pulled into the blind intersection. He collided with the left front of the vehicle and was thrown into the air, falling headfirst onto the pavement and dying within minutes.

Officer Litzenberg’s funeral was said to have been one of the largest in recent memory. He was 31 and survived by his wife, mother and siblings.

Officer Wright was appointed to the Police Bureau in 1918. Wright started on a walking beat and in 1920, he became a motorcycle patrolman.

A few years later, Officer Wright was assigned to headquarters. On Jan. 18, 1923, he responded to a lodging house on Washington Street to check on the welfare of a resident. Wright broke down the room door and inside was the body of a man who had died of pneumonia.

Regulations meant that Wright had to stay with the body until it was removed by the coroner, which took several hours. Wright went home that night and told his wife he was probably going to die. Three days later, on Jan. 21, 1923, Wright died at the age of 36. He was survived by his wife, two daughters and 4-year-old son.

His son contracted pneumonia as well, but he survived and went on to serve 30 years with Portland Police.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine