Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Local Weather

Mostly Cloudy

51°F

Portland

Mostly Cloudy

Humidity: 96%

Wind: 3 mph

  • 1 Oct 2014

    Mostly Sunny 65°F 48°F

  • 2 Oct 2014

    Mostly Sunny 73°F 54°F


Generation Z might stand for zero income

Sorry Millenials, Generation Z is waiting in the wings to take over. If you were born after 1990, that’s you. According to marketers, Generation Z literally lives online sending 50 texts a day, voicing opinions online, watching and commenting on YouTube videos, and they want to change the world. Sadly, they also have no real wealth. Which explains why Generation Z also doesn’t mind hanging out with their parents.

• • •

They do more than hand out parking tickets at Portland State University. They also do some interesting research, and this study was a good one. According to Professor Chris Monsere, 94 percent of Portland cyclists stopped for red lights. We figure the other 6 percent were unable to understand the question after their horrible accident.

• • •

We are suckers for surveys, and this one had us from the first two words: passionate kissing. According to new research, you stop making out with your spouse just three months into marriage. And it stops completely once you start having kids.

• • •

Vancouver Mayor Tim Leavitt cut the ribbon in Uptown Village at one of the city’s first legal marijuana stores. And while we may think the city will be printing money with all the new outlets, the mayor brought us back to reality declaring the city itself will reap less than $200,000 a year from the ventures. It seems hardly enough to fill one pothole. Pardon the pun.

• • •

Skateboarders downtown are anxiously awaiting the next 90-degree-plus day. It’s the only time of year they can ride faster than MAX trains.

• • •

We’re all for Second Amendment rights, but do we have to celebrate it like they do in Rifle, (yes, that’s the name of the town) Colo., where one restaurant encourages patrons to carry and suggested if there were a problem, “make sure your aim is accurate.” Maybe we can spread the love around to some other amendments? Where are the proud patriots ready to serve jury duty celebrating the Sixth Amendment? Why not the Ninth? Or even the Third? A monthly demonstration about how you don’t have to house soldiers — unless you want to? Maybe those are just too esoteric for the amendment-loving crowd.

• • •

Speaking of guns, Target has asked customers not to bring them into their stores — even if it’s perfectly legal. Something about a “safe” atmosphere. What’s safer than if everyone carried a gun? Well, Georgia can answer that. On the first day of the state’s Guns Everywhere Law allowing licensed gun owners to carry in churches, bars, government buildings and, well, everywhere, there was an incident where two gun-toting good ol’ boys got into it over who had the actual right to carry. One weapon was unholstered as a threat, and it sent the owner to jail. Seems you can carry, but pulling it out in a place of business is still against the law. That’s like saying its OK to smoke as long as you don’t light your cigarette.

• • •

Cover Oregon will shell out another $18 million to help transfer the troubled state exchange over to the feds. Forget the reports that say the transition is at a high risk of failure. Forget the report that says Deloitte Consulting, LLC, who will handle the Oregon transition, is the same firm that reportedly botched California’s Employment Development Department upgrade. Now we know why they’re handing out those “retention bonuses.” Anyone with Cover Oregon on their résumé will have a tough time getting another gig.

• • •

Spread the good word. If Elder Price in the “Book of Mormon” (playing at the Keller through the weekend) looks familiar, you’ve got sharp eyes. That’s David Larsen, a graduate of Hillsboro High School.

• • •

Meanwhile, in New York City, a Bill Clinton musical is rumored to be coming to New York. Let us start the musical soundtrack here: Motley Crue’s “Girls Girls Girls,” Marvin Gaye’s “Sexual Healing,” And let’s not forget Elton John’s, “Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word.”

• • •

If 3-D isn’t enough, now a Japanese company wants to lure you with 4-D. The chairs in 4-D theaters move to the movie and add rain effects, mist, wind, strobe lights — even scents. Not sure what it will do for “chick flicks” but it’s a game changer for porn.

• • •

There are three things food safety experts reportedly will never eat. Don’t worry guessing, we’ll tell you right here. Sprouts (E.coli), raw shellfish (toxins), and raw milk (a constellation of bacteria). In other words, it’s the quintessential Portland hipster diet.

Listen to Mark and Dave 3 to 6 p.m. weekdays on AM 860 KPAM. Follow them at www.facebook.com/themarkanddaveshow.