Charcoal briquettes set Hillsboro deck on fire
A Saturday fire on the back deck of a Hillsboro home spread to the rear of the house and the garage, causing extensive damage.
The fire began around 8:15 p.m. on July 19 in the 1800 block of Northeast 9th Avenue, officials said. The homeowners got out of the house when they heard glass breaking.
A total of 21 firefighters responded to put out the blaze. Investigators believe the fire started from charcoal briquettes that were not properly disposed.
The fire caused about $50,000 damage.