Failed loading XML file.
StartTag: invalid element name
Extra content at the end of the document



Kyle J. Koontz allegedly huffed electronics cleaner in front of police

A Wilsonville man has been arrested twice in less than 24 hours on suspicion of driving under the influence of intoxicants, according to police.

Police first arrested Kyle James Koontz, 32, just before 7 p.m. July 29 on Southwest Jack Burns Way in Argyle Square. Koontz was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol and inhalants.


His 2006 GMC Yukon was left at the scene, according to a police report from the arrest.

Koontz posted bail and was released from custody in Oregon City on July 30. He made his way back to Wilsonville to retrieve his vehicle.

Later that day, Police received multiple reports of a dangerous driver.

Wilsonville Police Sgt. Dan Kraus was the first to respond. He noticed a damaged tree at the intersection of SW Boeckman Road and Willow Creek Drive. Proceeding north on Stafford Road, Kraus said, he soon found Koontz and his SUV.

He spotted Koontz sitting inside the vehicle in a driveway in the 26000 block of Southwest Stafford Road, “with his head slumped forward,” a police report stated.

When Kraus attempted to talk to Koontz, the latter was unresponsive and didn’t notice the officer’s arrival.

According to the police report:

“The car was idling. I told the driver to turn the car off. He turned his head slowly to the left toward me and he looked at me then slowly turned the car off. I told him to remove the keys and he did not do so. I opened the car door and told him that I needed him to step out of the vehicle. The driver, now known to me as Mr. Koontz, leaned over into passenger seat and put a can of electronics cleaner in his mouth and blasted the cleaner into his mouth while breathing in deeply for several seconds. He seemed to almost lose consciousness as he did so.”

After becoming briefly agitated, Koontz calmed down as other officers arrived on scene. After he was taken into custody, police said, release paperwork from the Clackamas County Jail was found in Koontz’s shirt pocket showing that he had been released from custody less than 18 hours before after the earlier arrest on suspicion of DUII.

“He had been locked up,” Kraus said, “and then we got a report ... that there was a drunk driver. He had been released and gone and gotten his vehicle and was out driving impaired.”

Koontz again was cited for DUII, and then released.

“This was a super-difficult DUI case,” Kraus said. “We had a (drug recognition expert) on each (arrest). He was consuming alcohol on the first one, and at the second one he had straight inhalants and he was even using inhalants while the police officers were present.”

Kraus added, that police later called for medical help after Koontz reported feeling signs of a heart attack.

“He was blasting it into his mouth and he thought he was having a heart attack,” Kraus said. “The propellant was so cold that it causes those heart attack symptoms. It’s a bunch of stuff you don’t want in your body.”

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine