Propone heater, fireplace ashes start two house fires
Portland Fire & Rescue responded to two residential fires on Saturday.
The most recent one started when an occupant attempted to light a propane heater inside the home. The home had no electric service.
According to PF&R, crews were dispatched to 10104 S.E. Harold St. at 7:41 p.m. on Dec. 23 after multiple callers reported that fire coming from the roof of a home.
First arriving crews also encountered heavy fire coming from the front of the home. The fire was mainly located in the living room, and firefighters were able to extinguish it with aggressive tactics.
Five residents were displaced by the fire. None were injured, but two dogs perished. The American Red Cross responded to provide assistance.
PF&R would like to remind everyone to only use heat sources designed for interior use. Always follow manufacturers directions for use.
Before that fire, at 2:42 p.m. on Dec. 23, crews were dispatched to reports of a residential fire at 8213 S.W. Woods Creek Ct. The first to arrive reported seeing smoke coming from the rear of the structure. Further investigation found there was an exterior fire that had started on the deck and was extending to the second floor.
Firefighters quickly knocked doiwn the flames and performed a search for possible occupants. No people were found, but two dogs were located trapped inside the house and rescued. Firefighters also assessed for fire extension to the second floor.
An investigation revealed this fire was caused by improperly disposed fireplace ashes. Ashes from the fireplace were placed in a paper bag on the rear of the structure. There were a small amount of hot coals in those ashes.
PF&R reminds everyone to dispose of fireplace ashes in a metal container with lid to prevent extension to combustibles.