New details revealed about Christmas Day shooting of Katelynn Armand-Tylka by James Tylka

KOIN 6/HAYLEY SHELTON ON FACEBOOK - OSP Trooper Nic Cederberg poses with his wife, Hayley Shelton, a Portland police officer, after he went home 48 days after being shot multiple times following a Christmas Day homicide in King City.
"I shot her, Mom. I shot her. She screwed up my life. My whole life's been screwed up, and I shot her, and I'm gonna kill myself."

That was the last phone call James Tylka made to his mother, according to a new report issued by the Washington County District Attorney's Office, before Tylka killed his estranged wife Katelynn Armand-Tylka on Christmas Day in King City.

Prosecutors announced Feb. 14 that they had finished reviewing an investigation into the death of Katelynn Armand-Tylka, 24.

Tylka led police on a chase across portions of Washington County and into Sherwood, where he shot Oregon State Trooper Nic Cederberg several times during a gunfight. Tylka was shot and killed by police, but had he survived, prosecutors said they would have charged him with murder in his wife's death. 

The Feb. 14 report details the incidents in the days and weeks prior to Armand-Tylka's death. According to the District Attorney's office, James and Katelynn Tylka were married in December 2014 and had one daughter together. But friends and relatives said the marriage was troubled. For the last year and a half of his life, Tylka lived with his mother in the 11900 block of Southwest King James Place in King City.

Tylka had a history of domestic violence, prosecutors said. Tylka reportedly sent Armand-Tylka hundreds of text messages in the last few weeks of her life, alternatively begging her to take him back, then threatening to kill her, according to investigators.

The day before her death, Tylka purchased a 9-millimeter handgun from a private seller in Portland, then stopped at a sporting goods store to buy ammunition. The following day, he changed his Facebook profile image to a photo of himself and Armand-Tylka on their wedding day, according to the report.

On Christmas Day, Armand-Tylka stopped in King City to drop her daughter off with Tylka shortly after 10 p.m., before she left for work.

Tylka reportedly took the daughter inside the home, then walked back to the car and shot Armand-Tylka eight times -- six times in the chest and twice in the head, according to the report.

Tylka's mother rushed outside and saw Tylka sitting in his car. She tried to speak to him, but he drove away. He called her a few minutes later when he reportedly confessed to the murder, then made a series of other calls.

At 10:20 he spoke with a friend of Armand-Tylka's and said he had shot and killed his wife. Then, just after 10:45, he sent a text message to Armand-Tylka's sister. "I killed your sister," it read.

When investigators arrived at the King City scene, they found a half-finished petition for a restraining order Armand-Tylka had started in her car. Two cards from Tylka to Katelynn were also in the car. One was an anniversary card with a handwritten note. It read, in part, "I am sorry for what I am about to do."

Tylka shot Cederberg seven times at close range, and after several surgeries, Cederberg has been recovering at Oregon Health & Science University Hospital. He was released Feb. 12 and is continuing to recover at home.

The shooting sparked an outpouring of support across Washington County. Online fundraisers raised thousands of dollars for Cederberg and Tylka's two children, including a son from his first marriage. A candlelight vigil in North Plains, where Cederberg was stationed, drew hundreds earlier this year.

The District Attorney's office is still investigating Cederberg's shooting. A spokesman with the District Attorney's office said that report has been slow to be released because of the extensive nature of Cederberg's injuries. That report is expected later this year.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine