Officers can only speculate why the disturbed man pointed a realistic-looking weapon at them

DAVID F. ASHTON - Detectives talk amongst themselves, while standing in the cordoned-off intersection of S.E. Lafayette Street and 22nd Avenue. On the southern edge of Powell City Park – at the northern end of the Fred Meyer headquarters complex parking lot – the sight of an armed man caused someone to call the 9-1-1 Center about 6:30 p.m. on Thursday evening, February 9.

Based on information they'd learned after arriving at the scene at approximately 7:15 p.m., Central Precinct Police Officers believed the man might have moved west, along S.E. Lafayette Street, to a point between 21st and 22nd Avenues.

Soon, 33 police units had gathered at the scene, and S.E. 22nd Avenue was closed from Powell Boulevard south to Bush Street.

COURTESY OF PORTLAND POLICE BUREAU - Police say this man, 56-year-old Don Allan Perkins, displayed a realistic-looking replica firearm. "Officers, including an Enhanced Crisis Intervention Team officer, contacted the man and began to talk with him," recounted Portland Police spokesman Sgt. Pete Simpson. "During the contact with the man, the officers developed information that he possessed a handgun.

"As officers were attempting to continue communication, the man exited the vehicle [in which officers had found him] and had an encounter with the officers, which resulted in two officers firing shots that struck him," said Simpson.

"Immediately after the shooting, officers quickly developed a plan to safely approach him and render medical aid, and did so, until medical personnel arrived and transported him by ambulance to a Portland hospital," added Simpson.

The suspect's handgun, later revealed to be a realistic-looking replica firearm, was recovered at the scene.

The following day, Simpson disclosed that 56-year-old Don Allan Perkins was recovering from the gunshot wounds, and is expected to survive.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine