Duke Street shooting not a 'drive-by', Mayor says
Brentwood-Darlington neighbors were concerned when they learned that a woman had been shot while waiting for a bus on S.E. Duke Street, near the 67th Avenue TriMet bus stop. It happened on October 20, 2017, at 2:05 p.m.
Portland police officers cordoned off the intersection for most of the afternoon. "Officers and medical personnel arrived and contacted an adult female suffering from a non-life-threatening gunshot injury – the victim was transported by ambulance to a Portland hospital for treatment," reported Portland police spokesman Sgt. Chris Burley. "Based on information learned in the investigation, officers believe the victim was standing at the intersection when she heard a 'pop', and realized she had been shot."
For days following the daylight shooting, officials said they had no suspect information, saying only they believed there was no danger to the community. There the story seemed to end – until Mayor Ted Wheeler, speaking at a meeting in the neighborhood, provided more information.
"It was speculated that it was either gang-related, or drive-by shooting, but, it was neither of those things," Wheeler said in the November 3 meeting. "This took place between two people who knew each other; a firearm accidentally discharged." And apparently the woman shot was an innocent victim of the stray bullet.