FONT

MORE STORIES


Blaze at Warren residence spread from burn pile to shed last week, damage estimated at $8,000

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCAPPPOOSE FIRE DISTRICT - Scappoose Fire District responded to a structure fire in Warren on March 14 when a shed caught fire. The resident had been burning yard debris earlier in the day about 20 feet away from the shed.The Scappoose Fire District responded to a structure fire last week that caused nearly $8,000 in damage after a resident improperly burned yard debris, which spread to an outbuilding in the yard.

Firefighters were dispatched to the fire at 33932 Slavens Road in Warren just before 3 p.m. on Wednesday, March 14.

On arrival, crews could see smoke coming from the backyard, and later discovered a fire in a 20-by-30 shed behind the house, according to a release from SFD.

The homeowner told SFD he had been burning blackberry bushes with a propane torch, and said he hosed down the shed where he was burning beforehand. The resident also used a hose to wet nearby bushes and the shed after he was finished with the burning, prior to going inside his house to eat lunch.

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCAPPOOOSE FIRE DISTRICT - Damage to the inside of the shed. The burn pile was located 20 feet from the shed. When the resident returned to check on the burn piles, he noticed smoke coming from the shed and called 911.

Firefighters determined the fire started outside the shed, which did not have electrical power. The cause of the fire was found to be improper use of a flame-producing device in close proximity to combustible materials.

The estimated damage was about $8,000.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine