Weed out the winter blahs
Overcast skies getting you down?
Maybe it's time to start plotting your spring garden. To get in the mood, get out your calendar and check out this list of free workshops on sustainable gardening techniques offered by the East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District.
Here's their lineup:
Come learn about the most common garden and landscape weeds. You'll find out how these aggressive plants take over in your yard, and get tips that will help you get the upper hand without turning to synthetic herbicides.
• Wed. 2/28 from 6:00-8:30pm @ Mt. Hood Community College - 26000 SE Stark, Gresham, 97030
• Thurs, 4/26 from 6:00-8:30pm @ East Portland Neighborhood Office - 1017 NE 117th Ave, Portland, 97220
Explore the benefits of gardening with Native plants. Discover Portland's most common native plant communities, learn which species do well in similar growing conditions, and get tips to help them thrive.
• Sun. 2/25 from 1-3:30pm @ Gresham City Hall - 1331 NW Eastman Parkway, Gresham, 97030
• Sat, 3/3 from 9-11:30am @ Trinity United Methodist Church Fellowship Hall - 3915 SE Steele Street, Portland, 97202
• Sun. 3/25 1-3:30pm @ NE Coalition of Neighborhoods Office - 4815 NE 7th Ave, Portland, 97211
• Sat. 4/14 9-11:30am @ Parkrose Community United Church of Christ - 12505 NE Halsey Street, Portland, 97230
• Sat. 4/19 from 9-11:30am @ NE Coalition of Neighborhoods Office - 4815 NE 7th Ave, Portland, 97211
• Sun. 4/28 from 1-3:30pm @ Troutdale Police Station - 234 SW Kendall Ct, Troutdale, 97060
Meet the beetles, bugs, flies, lacewings and other invertebrates that provide free pest control. You will discover ways to attract and sustain these friendly beneficial insects that help your garden thrive.
• Sat. 4/21 from 9-11:30am @ The Oregon Food Bank - 7900 NE 33rd Dr, Portland, 97211
• Sun. 5/6 from 1-3:30pm @ Lents Village Apartments - 10325 SE Holgate Blvd, Portland, 97266
Attracting Pollinators to the Urban Garden
Learn about the bees, flies, beetles, moths and butterflies that provide vital pollination services in urban gardens, and discover which plants can help attract and support them. We will go beyond the bloom so you can find out how to provide water, shelter, nesting, and overwintering sites.
• Wed. 2/21 from 6-8:30pm @ Mt. Hood Community College - 26000 SE Stark, Gresham, 97030
• Sat. 3/17 from 9-11:30am @ The Oregon Food Bank - 7900 NE 33rd Dr, Portland, 97211
Learn to create a low-maintenance landscape that conserves water, minimizes pollution, and creates habitat. Get natural gardening & design tips that mimic nature, and make your garden a healthy place for children, pets and wildlife.
• Sat. 2/10 from 9am-1pm @ Mt. Hood Community College - 26000 SE Stark, Gresham, 97030
• Sat. 2/24 from 9am-1pm @ Portland Expo Center - 2060 N Marine Drive, Portland , 97217
• Sat. 3/10 from 9am-1pm @ Whitaker Ponds Nature Park - 7040 NE 47th Ave, Portland, 97218
• Sat. 3/24 from 9am-1pm @ Troutdale Police Station - 234 SW Kendall Ct, Troutdale, 97060
• Sat. 4/7 from 9am-1pm @ Livingscape - 3926 N Vancouver, Portland, 97227
• Sat. 5/5 from 9am-1pm @ The Oregon Food Bank - 7900 NE 33rd Dr, Portland, 97211
Rain Gardens 101
Learn how rain gardens add beauty and color to your yard while helping restore the health of urban streams at the same time. You will get step-by-step details on how to plan, design and build your own rain garden. Where possible, workshop includes a short tour of a nearby rain garden.
• Sat. 2/3 from 9am-1pm @ Troutdale Police Station - 234 SW Kendall Ct, Troutdale, 97060
• Sun. 2/11 from 1-5pm @ Whitaker Ponds Nature Park - 7040 NE 47th Ave, Portland, 97218
• Sat. 3/31 from 9am-1pm @ Livingscape - 3926 N Vancouver, Portland, 97227
• Sun. 4/29 from 1-5pm @ Bridgeport United Church of Christ - 621 NE 76th Ave, Portland, 97213
For more information find East Multnomah Soil & Water Conservation District on the web at