Apply to be on Fiesta Mexicana Court 2018
In 2018, the Woodburn Fiesta Mexicana will be celebrating its 55th anniversary.
Young girls who are part of the Woodburn community have a chance to be a part of this tradition by serving on the Fiesta Court.
This year the Fiesta Court program will continue to highlight the importance of leadership development, team building, communication skills and service to the Woodburn community.
• Each participant is required to complete a leadership training that comprises mentoring opportunities, preparation in public speaking, interviewing and professional dress.
• Each participant will commit to a minimum of 16 hours of community service at a local nonprofit organization of their choosing.
• Each participant will gain points based on their community service hours and participation in events and activities.
The court members will also compete for a college scholarship provided by Chemeketa Community College.
To be eligible for the court, individuals must be:
• A high school junior or senior (in 2017-18 school year) enrolled at Woodburn, Gervais or North Marion schools (or a Woodburn resident who is home schooled or enrolled at equivalent);
• In possession of a 2.5 grade point average or better (must submit current high school transcript); and
• Bilingual in both English and Spanish.
Applications are now available for this year's court and are due by May 15.
Individuals can also check out the city of Woodburn's Fiesta Mexicana Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/WoodburnFiestaMexicana/ or the official website at http://www.woodburnfiestamexicana.com for more information.
Woodburn Fiesta Mexicana 2018 will be held Aug. 3-5.