Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Boys soccer: Wilsonville's season ends with semifinal loss to Summit


Wildcats shut out for second time all season

by: JEFF GOODMAN / FILE - Junior midfielder Adam Kane (11), shown during a league game at Putnam, and the Wilsonville boys soccer team fell to Bend-Summit in the Class 5A semifinals on the road Nov. 12. The Wildcats reached the penultimate round for the first time since 2002.The Wilsonville boys soccer team’s stellar season came to an end Nov. 12 with a 2-0 road loss to Bend-Summit in the Class 5A state semifinals.

The third-seeded Wildcats entered the match with a 10-game unbeaten streak but were shut out for the second time all season by the second-seeded Storm.

Summit won its 14th-straight game and advanced to face Hood River Valley in the title match Nov. 16 at Hillsboro Stadium.

Wilsonville (12-4-1) reached the semifinals for the first time since 2002 thanks to postseason wins against Bend-Mountain View and Silverton.

The Storm, though, had fallen in the penultimate round in each of the last two seasons and played well enough to advance to the finals for the first time in school history.

“Man for man, Summit had more overall skill and thus was able to play a more sophisticated game,” Wildcats coach Ian Reschke said. “I felt that Summit was able to match our overall athleticism. Many times this year we were able to come out on top due to our speed, size, strength and desire to win. Summit was able to neutralize the physical battles that we were used to winning.”

Wilsonville ceded a goal in the 26th minute when Conor Galvin scored on a throw-in by Cameron Weaver. It fell behind 2-0 when Weaver headed in a corner kick by Eli Warmenhoven seven minutes into the second half.

“I was pleased we were able to keep Summit out of the net during the run of play,” Reschke said. “They ended up scoring on a couple of set plays — a long throw-in play and a corner kick. We certainly generated a few golden chances of our own to score, but (Storm goalkeeper Levi Davidson) came up big and kept us out.”

Davidson and his teammates were able to successfully contain senior forward Timmy Bourque, who had scored four goals in Wilsonville’s previous two games. He had limited opportunities against Summit and was blanketed by defenders for much of the evening.

“We didn’t realize how athletic they were in the back,” Reschke said. “We tried to get balls over the top, but we had a really tough time of it. And even when we did, their keeper was there to stuff it. Hats off to him — he played a great game.”

Shortly after the Storm took a 1-0 lead, Wildcats junior Adam Kane saw an equalizing opportunity when he blasted a shot from about 30 yards out on the right side of the field. Guarding the near post, Davidson shifted to his right and thwarted the threat.

Summit maintained its edge in the second half, logging four corner kicks in the first 20 minutes after halftime. One of them led to Weaver’s header goal.

Reschke said he tried to lift his players’ spirits after their season-ending loss to the Storm.

“Despite our players’ disappointment, I told the boys to keep their head up after the loss and that there is no shame in losing to a great team like Summit,” Reschke said. “Our guys competed hard for 80 minutes and made Summit work for it. I reminded them of how they have overachieved all season long, and they did it through hard work, teamwork and believing they could compete.”