Eleven displaced in Beaverton apartment fire
Eleven people were displaced by an apartment fire on Thursday, April 26, at the Sterling Pointe complex in the 14400 block of Southwest Teal Boulevard in Beaverton.
Just before 11 a.m., callers to 911 reported smoke and flames coming from a patio and siding of the two-story apartment building. The first firefighters to observed flames shooting through the roof. Firefighters began to work outside the building while others searched the units closest to the fire to ensure that all people and pets were safe.
Prior to firefighters' arrival, a grounds employee was able to get two dogs out of an apartment adjacent to the fire unit. Two people were evaluated by medical personnel at the scene but were released and uninjured. No firefighters were injured.
The incident commander called a second alarm to bring more firefighters to the scene to help with fire suppression, to salvage tenants' furniture and valuables and to remove charred siding and roofing to prevent the fire from rekindling. A thermal-imaging camera was used to ensure that there were no hot spots in walls, floors or the shared attic space.
Two apartments experienced fire damage. Four other units sustained smoke and water damage. None of the 11 people who live in the building — which contains eight units — will be able to return to their homes on Thursday.
The American Red Cross and property managers are assisting them with lodging, food and other needs. All residents had renter's insurance. There is no damage estimate at this time.
A fire investigator has determined that the fire was accidental and the most probable cause was improper disposal of smoking materials in a cardboard box stored on a patio.