Ramadan begins Tuesday
Events to celebrate or coincide with Ramadan are scheduled in May throughout the community. Ramadan runs from Tuesday, May 15, through Thursday, June 14.
Ramadan — the ninth month in the Muslim calendar — is a time of prayer and reflection. Muslims throughout the world fast from dawn to sunset, abstaining from food, drink, smoking and other pleasures, as one of the Five Pillars of Islam: Faith, prayer, charity, fasting and a pilgrimage to Mecca.
The following is a partial list of events schedule in the region:
Muslim Educational Trust
The Muslim Educational Trust is at 10330 S.W. Scholls Ferry Road, Tigard.
MET events include:
• Weekly Ramadan Iftar Dinner: 8 p.m. Saturday, May 19; 7 p.m. Saturday, June 2. Attendees are encouraged to bring a favorite side dish.
• Interfaith Service: 7 p.m. Saturday, May 26.
• Eighth annual MET eighth-grade and High School graduations, and the annual Riyaz Ahmed Dinner: 7 p.m. Saturday, June 9.
Ahmadiyya Movement In Islam
The center is at 9925 S.W. 35th Drive in Portland.
• Open house, everyone welcome, 8:30 p.m. every Saturday, including the Saturdays during Ramadan.
Islamic Social Services of Oregon State
• Very large Ramadan food drive, with about eight agencies working with them to distribute more than 250 food boxes, as well as Winco cards. Goal: to cover 500 households. (Charity is one of the pillars of Islam.)