Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Cecilia Buckley's mother and Bryan Mansor's father were charged in two June homicides in Sherwood and Metzger.

Editor's note: This story is part of the The Times' special series, "Decade in Review." This series features three stories that helped to define each year of the 2010s. These can retell single stories that captivated readers of the time, a saga that played out across many articles, and even stories that were crowded to the margins by other news at the time but have made a lasting impact on our region.

PMG FILE PHOTO - Kaliq Mansor, left, appears in court after being charged with murdering his infant son, Bryan.

In less than two weeks in June 2011, two children died in Portland's southwest suburbs — one in Metzger, another in Sherwood — igniting criminal cases that left observers chilled.

The Sherwood community was horrified after 11-year-old Cecilia Buckley, a beloved member of Girl Scouts Troop 40099 and aspiring Scottish dancer, was strangled to death June 2, 2011, at home. Her father reportedly attempted CPR before first responders arrived, but he could not revive her. Buckley was rushed to Legacy Meridian Park Medical Center in Tualatin, where she was pronounced dead.

Her mother, Kristina Buckley, was found at the scene with self-inflicted wounds. After she was hospitalized, she was arrested for the murder of her young daughter. It was Sherwood's first homicide in nearly 10 years.

Kristina Buckley was a regular volunteer with her daughter's Scouting troop, and troop leaders said they had seen no signs of mistreatment or violent tendencies.

Sherwood police said Kristina Buckley told investigators that she had killed Cecilia to protect her from pedophiles. After strangling Cecilia with her hands, Kristina Buckley told police, she unsuccessfully attempted suicide.

The tragic case came to a tragic conclusion in July 2012. After Kristina Buckley waived her right to a jury trial for Cecilia Buckley's murder, Washington County Circuit Judge Suzanne Upton ruled that she was guilty except for insanity. Buckley was sent to the Oregon State Hospital and ordered to remain under the supervision of state psychiatric authorities for life.

The Psychiatric Security Review Board approved Buckley's request to move into an independent residence in 2017, although she remains under state supervision.

The Metzger case was less straightforward.

Kaliq Mansor called 9-1-1 on June 12, 2011, just 10 days after Cecilia Buckley was murdered, claiming his infant son Bryan had stopped breathing during a feeding. Mansor said he didn't call 9-1-1 right away, because he had spent 15 minutes looking online for information on what to do.

Bryan Mansor was hospitalized at Providence St. Vincent Medical Center near Beaverton. He died the next day.

An examination found Bryan's skull and ribs were fractured, and investigators concluded that Kaliq Mansor had been physically abusing the 11-week-old boy. Bryan's twin brother was also examined, and similar injuries were noted.

Kaliq Mansor was charged with murder, assault and criminal mistreatment. At trial, prosecutors presented evidence obtained from a search of Mansor's computer, which showed he had Googled search terms such as "father hates infant," "how do I stop abusing my baby" and "can therapy help an abuser."

In September 2012, Mansor was found guilty on 10 criminal counts, including murder by abuse. He was sentenced to life imprisonment.

Mansor's attorney, Russell Barnett, appealed the ruling. Barnett argued the state shouldn't have been allowed to present the computer search results as evidence in court — investigators should have only looked for, and prosecutors should have only presented, Mansor's search and browser history during that 15-minute window he described between when Bryan Mansor stopped breathing and when his father called 9-1-1.

The Oregon Court of Appeals agreed, ruling that the search warrant for Kaliq Mansor's computer was overly broad and had violated Mansor's constitutional rights. The appellate court threw out Mansor's life sentence. The Oregon Supreme Court affirmed the decision, sending the matter back to Washington County Circuit Court, where prosecutors quickly said they wanted a new trial.

After serving time in a state prison in Eastern Oregon prior to his successful appeal, Mansor was transferred back to the Washington County Jail, where he remains today. He is facing a retrial in September 2020.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework