Delta Variant: The Most Dangerous Form of Covid-19
There is a lot of press about the Delta Variant form of Covid-19. First, I wish they would call it something else, like, "The Dangerous
Variant" or "Super Covid." Delta variant sounds like a nerdy frat party. 17 months into this global pandemic and we are still dealing with- and feeling its effects in all aspects of life.
Second, we need to limit COVID-19 infection rates. Each time the virus has to replicate and infect another host (person) it has a chance to mutate. Most mutations make it weaker, some, like Delta,
more adapted to survive longer and better. Covid-19 is a virus, it doesn't think, doesn't have a plan, it just replicates and adapts.
So here are the facts on the delta variant of COVID-19:
- The "spikes" of delta are better adapted to attach to human cells.
- If infected you become symptomatic a day or two earlier than previous versions.
- You shed virus sooner and at a rate one thousand times more than the original.
- It is currently the most dominant form of COVID-19 in the US (over 60% of cases).
- Delta is the most contagious and severe form of COVID-19
What can you do? Vaccinate if you can, most of the vaccines are +94% effective against the Delta Variant. Mask up, wash your hands, avoid crowds, and stay healthy. Also, keep current on your dental cleanings; there is a well-established oral-systemic connection with periodontitis gum disease and susceptibility to COVID-19 infection.
Dental Care of Canby
333 NW 3rd Ave
Canby, OR 97013