Support Local Journalism!        

Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



A plea was anticipated from the accused former pastor at a hearing June 19, but the hearing was rescheduled.

CLACKAMAS COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE - Former Canby First Baptist pastor Lee Philip Wiegand was arrested Oct. 3, 2017 on nine counts of sexual abuse.A conclusion to the case of the former Canby pastor accused of sexual abuse has again been put off because "new information" has come to light, Senior Deputy District Attorney Scott Healy revealed at a brief hearing Tuesday morning. Court was rescheduled for July 3.

Since the case is open, Healy could not divulge the nature of the new information, but he indicated that it's worth looking into.

"It could give me more information about how I might want to resolve the case," Healy said, "so we just need a little bit of time to work on that. I'm confident that it will get resolved on the third."

Lee Philip Wiegand, 63, the former pastor of Canby First Baptist Church, was arrested on Oct. 3, 2017 on nine counts of sexual abuse in the second degree of a minor female, records show. The abuse allegedly occurred over a period of a year in 2011 and 2012 and involved three instances of nonconsensual sexual intercourse and six instances of other nonconsensual sexual acts, according to the indictment.

His wife bailed him out of jail the following day, posting a $10,000 deposit of the $100,000 bail, per Clackamas County Court records. With his release, Wiegand has not been allowed contact with the victim.

A 12-person jury trial was originally set for March, and was then rescheduled for June 19.

In December, Healy told the Herald, "If the case isn't able to resolve by a plea of guilty to some of the charges, then we'll have a trial."

The trial has since been changed to a plea hearing, potentially indicating an anticipated guilty plea to some charges.

All parties were present at Clackamas County Courthouse on June 19, including a throng of observers, both Wiegand supporters and opponents, when the hearing was rescheduled for July 3.

Healy said that the upcoming plea and sentencing may require a bit of time for a number of reasons, including that a victim will be phoning in from Florida to speak.

"There might be a few other folks who might want to speak on his behalf, so it's a little bit more complicated than some of the run-of-the-mill cases," Healy said.

In addition to those statements, the July 3 hearing is expected to entail a plea, sentencing and possibly discussion of the new information.

Kristen Wohlers
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!

Go to top