Residents escape North Ivy Street house fire uninjured
Fire crews successfully tackled flames inside a North Ivy Street home this morning and into the afternoon. Residents were in the home at the time the fire started, but all made it out safely with no injuries.
In light of the situation, Canby Fire wants to remind the community that smoke alarms should be checked monthly and used throughout the home in every sleeping area. Additionally, families should have a clear fire escape plan.
"That's what saves lives," said Division Chief Matt Dale, "and we attribute smoke alarms to saving lives in this case."
Canby Fire District responded to the 11:13 a.m. call reporting a fire seeming to come from the crawl space under the house at 920 N. Ivy St., according to Dale.
Dale said the fire appears to have started outside the house before infiltrating the crawl space.
Crews had to use saws to create holes in order to gain access, remove insulation and locate the source of the fire, Dale said.
"It's a little bit more hidden and access was very limited compared to other fires," Dale said. "Usually they start inside the home, not under the home, so that was unusual. But it's nothing we can't take care of in rapid fashion; it's just different."
And take care of it, they did. The house is damaged, but reparable, according to Dale. The fire did spread up into the living space, affecting three rooms to some degree. The outside of the home remains intact.
The last crews left the scene just before 2 p.m.
Canby Fire was assisted by Clackamas Fire, Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue, and Aurora Fire. Clackamas, Tualatin Valley, Aurora and Woodburn covered other calls while crews fought the fire.
Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)