After its first playoff win over West Salem, Canby was unable to go further after loss in Hillsboro

SUBMITTED PHOTO: CHRIS OERTELL - Canby was defeated by Glencoe 9-6 in the second round of playoffs. HILLSBORO—The Cougars lacrosse team had nabbed its first playoff victory the week before against West Salem in a rematch, and looked to keep that moment going against sixth ranked Glencoe. Unfortunately, it was not to be. After 48 minutes of play, Glencoe defended its home field with a 9-6 win over Canby on Tuesday, May 22.

With the loss, Canby ends its season with a record of 11-8, and leaves the season having lost 4 of its last 5. Glencoe moves on with a record of 17-3 to face Lake Oswego in the quarter finals on Friday, May 25.

The game started off evenly enough, with both teams getting a crack at the net of the other. Noah Hansen won the opening faceoff, but Glencoe managed to get the ball onto Canby's side of the field. A team known for attacking from range, the Crimson Tide picked up its first goal from up close, courtesy of senior Brennen Hay. Hay managed to sneak the ball past freshman backup goalie Tyler Gile. Gile replaced senior Garrett Netter, who broke his foot before the opening round of playoffs against West Salem.

"We were ready defensively," Gile said. "We played the normal defense that we always play. They were just good shooters, they shot off their hip. Hard to read as a goalie, they definitely shot well."

Canby would not be deterred offensively. The team pressed the attack, taking several shots on the Glencoe net towards the middle of the first quarter, but none got through. At 7:34 of the first quarter, the home team flipped the field and again scored, this time sneaking the ball through Gile's legs.

Cany answered back a little over a minute later. Senior Aaron Kromer took a shot up the middle that got past the Glencoe defense. Canby was on the board.

"They ran a zone against us, which Clackamas actually ran against us earlier," Kromer said. "We had practiced against it, and when they ran it the first time we were flabbergasted. But now that we'd seen it a couple of times, we had an offense ready and we just attacked really."

At 4:48 of the first quarter, the Cougars scored again. Junior Connor Saltmarsh got the goal with a senior Zach Pilorget assist. The game was tied up 2-2. SUBMITTED PHOTO: CHRIS OERTELL - Connor Saltmarsh was one of a handfull of Canby Cougars to pick up a goal against the Glencoe Crimson Tide in the first round of playoffs, but it was not enough as the home team won 9-6 over Canby.

Glencoe wouldn't let it stand for long. Less than 20 seconds later, senior Ruben Gallardo took a long and got it. 3-2 for the home team. The quarter ended with Canby sophomore Ronan Gay trying to get a goal back, but to no avail.

In the second quarter, Canby got the action started with a third goal courtesy of Pilorget. The senior attacker took one shot that bounced off the Glencoe keeper, and then swept the rebound into the net off the ground. The game was tied 3-3.

"I know just as much as you, it just sort of happened," Pilorget said about his goal. "Then I see the ref put up their hands and I knew I scored. It was kind of second nature." HERALD PHOTO: TANNER RUSS - Senior Zach Pilorget picked up a pair of goals in the 9-6 loss against the Crimson Tide.

After that point, Glencoe took over. The Crimson Tide scored four straight goals to end the first half. Canby was unable to get much offense going in the middle stages of the game.

In the second half, Canby subbed in its other backup goalie, sophomore Colby Damgaard, who kept the Glencoe scoring down to just two goals. It wasn't enough though, as the Canby offense struggled to get going in the third quarter. The Cougars only scored one goal in the third, thanks to Pilorget who nabbed his second of the game.

The fourth quarter began with Canby down 9-4. It would be the most fruitful 12 minutes of play since the first quarter. Canby feverishly attacked the Glencoe net and managed two goals. The first came from freshman Jake Kahut, and the final goal of the season came from sophomore Ronan Gay.

"At that point it was just desperation," Kromer said. "You're down by five, the season is on the line, you just have to go and hope, pray for a miracle. We got two, we didn't get the full five. A miracle didn't happen but that's okay."

When the horn blew, it was Canby down 9-6. For Kromer and the rest of the seniors on the team, the end result was disappointing, but the season in its totality is something they will remember.

"I'm proud of the guys and the way we grew," Kromer said. "Coming into the season I felt like we were going to be strong, and I knew this was going to be our year to try and make a run. Obviously this is my last year and I had to do it this year. The start of the season was a little shaky, and we came through rough patches, but we always stuck together as a family. That was our theme for the year: one team, one goal, one family."

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine