In a lopsided first half, the number one Lakers jumped all over the Cougars for a 33-12 win

HERALD PHOTO: TANNER RUSS - Lake Oswego junior Casey Filkins was a big part of the Laker's offensive presence in the first half. Lake Oswego defeated Canby 33-12 at the end of its showdown on Friday, Oct. 12.CANBY — On paper, Canby had its work cut out for it when it squared off with the number one ranked Lake Oswego Lakers on Friday, Oct. 12. Canby had yet to find its way to the win column this season, and the Lakers had only stumbled against top 2 team Clackamas in a preseason affair.

In practice, the Cougars could not overcome the explosive Lake Oswego offense. Canby lost its homecoming game 33-12 after four quarters of play. In defeat Canby falls to 0-7 overall, including a 0-4 Three Rivers League (TRL) record. Lake Oswego improves to 6-1 overall, and 3-0 in league, tying it with Tigard in the TRL championship race.

The game could not have started any worse for Canby, or any better for Lake Oswego. On the opening kickoff from Canby senior Rizdin Miller, Lake Oswego senior Matthew Sebolsky returned the ball 75 yards for a touchdown just 14 seconds into the game. A missed PAT kept the Laker lead at 6-0.

Canby got the ball back, and put together a strong opening run, moving into Lake Oswego territory before Canby quarterback Trent Wakefield was picked off by Laker senior Chris Todd. Todd took the ball back to the Canby 8-yard line. Lake Oswego punched the ball in on the next play with junior Casey Filkins running up the middle at 9:11 of the first quarter. With the PAT good, Lake Oswego led Canby 13-0, and with only 8 yards coming from the offensive unit.

Canby was held to a three and out in its ensuing drive, and Lake Oswego got right back to work. Taking over at the Canby 48-yard line, the Lakers put together a seven play drive, and once again it was Filkins with the scoring play. Another run up the middle, this time from one yard out at 2:45 of the first quarter. Another missed PAT left the lead at 19-0 for the Lakers.HERALD PHOTO: TANNER RUSS - Canby's Kyler Boyd stands over Lake Oswego quarterback Quinn Gunter after sacking him in the back field.

Filkins wasn't done. The next Lake Oswego possession only lasted only four plays, and once again he punched it up the middle from 15-yards away. The extra point was good, and Canby found itself in the hole 26-0 at 11:17 of the second quarter.

The final Lake Oswego points of the half, and ultimately the game, came at 6:23 of the second quarter. After a nine play, 54-yard drive, senior quarterback Jackson Laurent throwing for a touchdown in the game.

Canby did not let itself get shut out at home though. In the last drive of the half, Canby managed to move down the field in 2:08 and score a touchdown. Junior quarterback Andrew Peters connected with junior receiver Ronan Gay. The PAT was block, and Canby went into the locker room with the score 33-6.

In the second half, Peters did it again when he threw a 72-yard touchdown pass to sophomore Tyler Mead who ran up the left-hand side of the field for the team's second touchdown. The score came at 6:49 of the fourth quarter. Another missed PAT left the score at 33-12, and Canby fell once again.

Canby moves on to face off with Oregon City on Friday, Oct. 19. Lake Oswego will square off with Tualatin on the same day.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine