Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



The offense generated goals and the defense was stout when it needed to be in Monday's conference win

Timely goals and a stout defensive effort propelled the Canby High boys soccer team to its second conference win, a 3-1 vedict over Oregon City Oct. 18.

The match started slowly as each team probed for weaknesses, but in the 34th minute, Canby struck. Vladimir Bernal Lopez sent a screaming free kick at the Oregon City keeper and Sean Gearheart challenged the keeper, forcing him to spill the ball, providing Canby with an opportunity.

The Herald-Pioneer.

"From there, Mario Bautista got a touch back to teammate Cristian Sanchez Ramirez, who was able to power it through the Oregon City back line and into the goal," head coach Ryan McCormack said.

About 90 seconds later, Alan Ojeda forced a turnover in the middle of the field, sent an accurate pass to Sanchez, who played a looping through-ball to Gearheart, who took a touch, then finished at the back post to put Canby up 2-0.

Oregon City would pull one back less than 10 minutes into the second half.

"The rest of the second half was a cagey affair, with both teams creating chances back and forth," McCormack said.

Canby would have one more arrow to shoot, however. With less than seven minutes to go, Bernal Lopez intercepted a pass on the press, delivered a cross to the back post that found Ergar Ojeda, who tapped it into the back of the net to insure Canby's win.

"Our defensive line of Heladio Vera, Bryant Santos, Carlos Perez, and Mario Bautista held strong to close the game out," McCormack said.

With that win, the Cougars move to 2-8 in league play (2-10 overall). They battle Tigard Wednesday night at home, then finish the season Monday (Oct. 25) at West Linn.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework