Frank Young, who authorities believe started the fire, died of injuries Wednesday

A suspected arson case has been closed following the death of 70-year-old Frank Young who authorities believe started the fire.

Local law enforcement were initially investigating a Tuesday incident that resulted in injuries to two people. According to Crook County Undersheriff James Savage, at 6:39 a.m., a Crook County Sheriff's Office deputy and an officer from the Prineville Police Department were dispatched to a domestic disturbance at Lakeshore RV Park, space 26.

Authorities had received a report that an elderly female from space 26 had come to space 25 with blood on her face but refused to give much more information. The caller then hung up with the 911 center.  

A few minutes later, the reporting party from space 25 called back, stating the travel trailer in space 26 was now on fire. Crook County Fire and Rescue responded to the RV park to assist. A Crook County deputy arrived on scene at 6:48 a.m., and the Prineville police officer shortly after.

Both law enforcement members were able to determine that Young was still in the burning travel trailer. The two law enforcement members, with assistance from a neighbor, were able to force entry into the fully engulfed trailer, locate Young in the bedroom and pull him to safety. They were also able to put the fire out with their fire extinguishers.

Young was transported to St. Charles Prineville by the Crook County Fire and Rescue medics then later flown to Legacy Burn Center in Portland with life-threatening injuries. He died Wednesday.

The female half of the incident was also taken St. Charles Prineville by family members with minor injuries. She was assisted by the Crook County Victim's Advocate and Red Cross.

Authorities determined that a domestic disturbance had occurred at the travel trailer, and Young intentionally set the travel trailer on fire with the female inside, attempting to take both their lives. The female was able to free herself from Young and exited the trailer and ran to the neighbor for help.

Following Young's death, the case is now closed.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine