Canal build turns into failed irrigation scheme
This old irrigation canal extended from Tumalo Creek to Bull Flat. This project was begun with The Three Sisters Irrigation Company under the management of W.H. Laidlaw. Canal construction was begun in 1904. Difficulties in delivering enough water led to the Three Sisters Irrigation Company being acquired by the Columbia Southern Irrigation Company. The company was a subsidiary of the Columbia Southern Railroad, which traversed from the Columbia River to Shaniko.
The goals of the company included building a canal from Tumalo Creek and diverting water to Bull Flat west of Laidlaw (now Tumalo). An intake dam was constructed on Tumalo Creek and eventually a canal was built to Bull Flat, but the company went into receivership and it failed to deliver irrigation water to settlers. The company had hopes of acquiring large holdings of land under the Carey Land Act as it allowed companies to acquire and sell property if irrigation reclamation was done.
W.A. Laidlaw became very unpopular when the irrigation scheme failed. The town of Laidlaw was named for him, but residents did not want to have their town named after a shyster so the name of the community was changed to Tumalo. Mr. Laidlaw was even hung in effigy.
The project was eventually taken over by the State of Oregon. Although a dam was built and water was diverted from Tumalo Creek, the project proved to be a disaster as water behind the dam disappeared in lava tubes and fractures. The old reservoir site is now a vast sagebrush flat and the Columbia Southern Canal can be traced through the landscape but there is no water delivery.
Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)