The many turns creating Juniper Haven Cemetery
The first cemetery at Prineville was known as the City Cemetery. The oldest marked burial was in 1870 for Reuben Striethoff. Prior to 1895, there were approximately 100 known burials in the cemetery. The land on which the cemetery was located was sold by David Cahn and Alex Weill to Charles Altchul, who resold it to the Oregon & Western Colonization Co. (OWC) in October 1917.
Members of the Commercial Club (predecessor of the chamber of commerce) approved the establishment of the Prineville Cemetery Association in 1916. Three local citizens were appointed trustees. The association purchased 4.6 acres, which included the city cemetery, from the OWC for $48.80. This was then known as the Pioneer Cemetery. Additional adjoining land was donated, 2 acres by the city of Prineville, one acre by Crook County and 1 ½ acres bought from A.R. Bowman in 1946.
In 1895, the Prineville Lodge #76 of the Masonic Order purchased 6 acres from Charles Altchul and in 1916, bought an additional 6 acres from the OWC. This site became known as the Masonic Cemetery. The Ochoco Lodge of the Ancient Order of United Workmen bought 5 acres from the OWC in 1896. This was called the Union Cemetery. Later that year, the Ochoco Lodge of the International Order of Odd Fellows purchased the land and also purchased an additional 6 acres from the OWC. This property and the Union Cemetery were then known as the Odd Fellows Cemetery.
Wells were drilled at the Oddfellows, Pioneer and Masonic cemeteries in 1950. A pump and pipeline were installed. The lightweight pipe installed could not withstand pressure and soon filled with sand from the well. Some shrubs and grass were planted by volunteers. A joint project by the three cemeteries in 1953 resulted in a pump being installed in a slough near Loper Street and pipe was laid by volunteer labor. A small lawn was planted in the Masonic Cemetery.
A cemetery improvement district was established in 1954 and included all of Crook County. Voters approved a tax levy with only one dissenting vote. A board of directors was established. The Pioneer, Masonic and IOOF cemeteries were deeded to the cemetery district and the name Juniper Haven Cemetery was chosen for the combined cemeteries.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.