C.G. Hitchcock operated mills near La Pine and Sisters
The early Hitchcock sawmill was located seven miles north of Sisters on the old Santiam Road and later in Sisters. The C.G. Hitchcock Lumber Company had operated near La Pine but moved their mill in 1934 near Sisters when they bought a block of land. They set up a sawmill at a meadow on the old Santiam Road.
The mill had a seven-foot band saw with a steam-operated engine. The mill had a capacity of cutting 50,000 feet of lumber per shift per day. A mill camp was located across the meadow and housed mill workers and their families. Mill workers received a salary of $4 per day.
Cecil Glen Hitchcock was born in Sumner, Illinois, in 1879. He came west to Washington state 1898 and worked on wheat ranches near Pomeroy. He soon leased a wheat ranch.
He married Ethel Gammon in 1903. Ethel was born in Pataha, Washington, in 1883. They continued to farm in Washington until 1922 when they moved to Bend. Glen began logging for local mills on Tumalo Creek. He partnered with some others and operated a sawmill near La Pine until the mill was moved to the Sisters area.
In 1939, C.G. Hitchcock and Company bought a new mill in Sisters that had been built by Ed Spoo in 1937. The mill was located about one mile north of Sisters. The mill burned down in 1942 but was soon rebuilt.
The mill was later known as the M.G. Hitchcock Mill when Glen's son Maurice bought the company in 1943. Hitchcock bought timber from different sources, including Gilchrist Timber Company, S.S. Johnson Co. and from old wagon road grant lands. The mill was sold in 1950 to Dant and Russell. Leonard Lundgren later bought the mill in Sisters and sold it to Brooks–Scanlon, who had it dismantled.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.