1946: Arrests were made for violation of a potato quarantine in Central Oregon

CENTRAL OREGONIAN - July 11, 1996: Tell Me The West (foreground) and Little Kiwi stride side-by-side early in Wednesday's third race.

95 years ago

July 15, 1926

With fully 1200 people present the pioneers of Eastern Oregon culminated their annual picnic at Service creek Sunday by reelecting their officers and entertaining their guests with a remarkable sermon, an excellent address, some fine singing, and the most cordial pioneer hospitality it is possible to display.

The annual picnic is a three-day affair and brings together for a grand reunion those brave spirits who in those earlier and dangerous days, braved the terrors of the wilderness that our civilization of today might have its growth. There they renew friendships of old, tell afresh with ever increasing interest the tales of old and pass on to the coming generation the high ideals and lofty purposes of a generation that won the West.

75 years ago

July 13, 1946

The first arrests for violation of the potato quarantine in central Oregon during the 1946 season were reported this week by Ben Davidson, federal shipping point inspector stationed at Redmond.

Ralph Van Wert of Madras, charged with illegal possession of potatoes shipped in from an area not certified ring-rot free, and Joe Gattuccio, who brought in the potatoes from California, entered pleas of guilty in justice court at Madras and were fined $10 each, with court costs of $250 each, Mr. Davidson said.

50 years ago

July 15, 1971 Three California men were sentenced in Justice Court Monday to 20 days on charges of soliciting a ride on a public highway. Seventeen days of the sentence were dropped on the condition that they leave Crook County.

The three, from Hayward, were arrested Saturday night by Ochoco Lake after they attempted to elude state police officers.

When the officers searched the path that the trio took to the water's edge, they discovered a bag containing a white powder and a .25 cal automatic pistol. They were carrying large knives. The three were lodged in Prineville city jail.

25 years ago

July 11, 1996

When a Prineville man decided to rob a local company, looking for money to pay off gambling debts, he got more than he bargained for.

Shortly after midnight, late last May 24, a 37-year-old man was captured as he attempted to flee from the Johnson Oil Office. An employee of the oil company, Doug Sweider, was just beginning his shift when he surprised the burglar. Arriving at the office, Sweider noticed evidence of a break in. He quickly called the police. As he hung up the phone, the would-be robber bolted out of a back room and out the door.

"If he had turned toward the street, he'd probably got away," Sweider said. The burglar ran into

the yard and tried to get over a fence with Sweider right behind him.

In court, the suspect explained to Circuit Court Judge Daniel Ahern that when Sweider pulled him off the fence, he used the handle of a cutting torch, striking Sweider, merely to protect himself. He

had apparently brought the torch and a couple of oxyacetylene welding bottles to the scene to use on the office safe.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!