1996: Crook County was facing cuts due to a decline in the forest timber receipts

CENTRAL OREGONIAN - July 22, 1971: The Prineville City Council called for a public hearing Aug. 10 on the annexation of the city of a small area east of town. Ochoco Motel, Shrum Ford and Elms Motel petitioned the city for annexation because of the need for updated sewage disposal facilities. When annexed, the city will install sewer lines which will connect with the recently installed lines in Mason's Addition. County Sanitarian Joe Petrovich stated that problems do exist, but that they haven't reached serious proportions as exist in other parts of the city. Because all three property owners petitioned, the city council dispensed with an election. The ordinance which will annex the property also carries an emergency clause which will declare the area part of the city immediately upon approval.

95 years ago

July 15, 1926

Work of building a concrete walk on the north of the city park is well under way this week with George Milliorn, the contractor, in charge. When completed the walk will be six feet wide.

The building of this piece of walk, which joins with the concrete walk in front of the courthouse, was ordered by the committee on streets and public improvements of the city council early in the month. Report of the work will be made at the next regular meeting of the council August 3.

75 years ago

July 25, 1946

According to word received from Mr. and Mrs. James Beebe of Prineville, their grandson, Rodney, was instrumental in saving another boy about his age from drowning in Suttle lake on July 14. Rodney, 12-year-old Prineville grade school student and member of Boy Scout troop 28 here, was in a picnic party taken to the lake by Mr. and Mrs. Vern Higgins. A small group of boys boarded a raft and took it out from shore, where they started playing and diving, when one of the boys who could swim very little began to get into difficulty and gasp for help. Rodney was the first to realize that the boy was in trouble and dived in to assist him. The lad, whose name is unknown, was taken to shore and seemed to suffer no ill effects from his venture.

50 years ago

July 15, 1971 A Portland FBI agent arrested Phillip Lee Peterson, 813 Willowdale, Monday evening on charges of being an accessory to a bank robbery.

Peterson was the third person to be arrested in connection with the robbery of Portland's Uptown Branch of the First National Bank of Oregon July 16. The trio made off with more than $5,000 in the robbery which occurred at 11:30 a.m. The other two men who were arrested are from the Portland area.

An FBI spokesman said that Peterson was apparently involved with the getaway, that he had not entered the bank himself.

Peterson was lodged in the Prineville city jail Monday night and was to have been transferred to Portland Wednesday. He will be arraigned before the U. S. Magistrate. The FBI said the case will be heard in U. S. District Court in Portland.

25 years ago

July 20, 1996 The estimates for the 1996 timber receipts for Crook and Wheeler counties are in, and once again the counties are facing cuts.

Last year, timber receipts hit a 13-year low and this year they are even lower. The estimate for this year is $688,523, about 61 percent lower than last year. In 1995, the payment was $1,769,276.

Timber receipt money that counties receive is split between the county road department and the school district. The school district gets 25 percent of the money, while the roads department the remaining 75 percent.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!