Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.

FONT & AUDIO

MORE STORIES


The Sisters Rodeo was first held in 1943 but had an inconsistent start before finding a permanent home

PHOTO COURTESY OF BOWMAN MUSEUM
 - Dan Poore rides Gray Ghost at the 1948 Sisters Rodeo.

Sisters Rodeo Arena is located about one mile southeast of Sisters and south of Highway 20. Near the turn of the 20th century, a bucking horse contest was held in Sisters, and contests continued in the Sisters Fair that included bucking horses and horse races. Other rodeo events were held in the 1920s.

The first annual Sisters Rodeo was held at the Creighton Place in 1943. Corrals were built and stock gathered for the events. High purses were provided for participants. The rodeo continued on an annual basis and was dubbed "The Biggest Little Show in the World." The rodeo was held at a site just north of town and operated there from the 1940s to 1975. It became a very popular event, but the local rodeo association disbanded in 1955. The rodeo continued for several years supported by various community groups.

The association re-formed in 1963. The rodeo continued but struggled, and in 1970 the old rodeo grounds were sold. But a desire to keep the rodeo going resulted in the event moving to different locations for the next few years. In 1979, a permanent site for the rodeo was established on 37 acres and within a few years, permanent stands and arena fencing was completed.

The rodeo became part of the International Professional Rodeo Association in the early 1980s, and in 1988 the association became a member of the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association. The rodeo has successfully been held annually on the second weekend in June.


You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by JoomlaShine.com | powered by JSN Sun Framework