The history of the wandering Rosland post office
Rosland post office site was located about 3 miles north of present La Pine. It was located along the old Huntington wagon road. Rosland post office was established on April 13, 1897, with B.J. Pengra the first of seven postmasters. It is probable that Pengra named the post office, but it is uncertain as to the source of the name. The office had previously been known as Pengra.
The post office was moved south, and the name changed to Lapine (present La Pine) on Sept. 21, 1910. As Rosland grew, a small schoolhouse was built just south of the settlement. There was a hotel and a livery stable barn with a small cabin where the caretaker lived. The community also had a blacksmith shop. Freighters kept their teams in the barn and drivers stayed with the wagons or in the hotel.
It is interesting to note that postal records show that the post office moved 3 miles south of the old Crook County line (now Deschutes) into Klamath County on Oct. 8, 1902, but returned to Crook County on Jan. 16, 1904.
Rosland Ranger Station was located near the community of Rosland. It was selected and withdrawn for use in 1907. A house and barn were built in 1908. The station was used until 1917, when headquarters were moved to La Pine.
Rosland school was originally southwest of the community of Rosland. It was established on the old Crook County roles in 1901. The board of directors included William Bogue, R.H. Caldwell and J. S. Bogue. The first teacher was Neva Kizer. School was held during the summer because it was impossible for children to get to the schoolhouse in winter. There were 11 students in 1909. The "Annual Catalog of Crook County Schools 1905-06" noted that "Rosland has a new schoolhouse, well furnished. School is held usually in the summer months."
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.