As the Jennings Lodge community comes to terms with the impending loss of the former evangelical campground, local preservation advocates are encouraging residents to focus on other historic sites in Oak Lodge which may need protection.
Oak Lodge History Detectives are planning a 10:30 a.m. field trip Saturday, Aug. 4, to highlight the importance of identifying and supporting restoration work on historic structures in the Oak Lodge community. Highlighting the field trip will be tours and an ice cream social at the historic Our Lady of Grace Pro Cathedral in Jennings Lodge. Formerly known as Grace Community Church, Our Lady of Grace is the oldest church still being used in northern Clackamas County.
The sanctuary portion of the building was built between 1907 and 1909. About 1915, the Atkinson Congregational Church of Oregon City purchased the building and lifted the church one story higher. A basement was constructed for community meeting rooms and a bell tower added.
For many years, the church and Jennings Lodge Grade School were two of the most important community buildings. As indication of their importance to the Jennings Lodge community in the early 20th century, local resident George E. Morse paid for a large stained-glass window to be made and installed in the sanctuary in honor of his wife, Delia Morse. Morse Court was named after the Morse family. The Morse Court name will appear in the new Lennar NW development at the former Jennings Lodge campground.
Our Lady of Grace Pro Cathedral Bishop Allen Zaugg and Bishop Seraphim Thomas will conduct building tours, and OLHD will join the bishops in discussing the history of it. A new history room honors the several denominations that have occupied the building. Field-trip participants are asked to bring photos of any historic buildings that they feel need support or identification.
The field trip is free to OLHD members, otherwise a $5 donation is suggested. Hot dogs and an ice cream social will take place in tandem with tours of the building at 18403 S.E. Blanton St. Parking is available.
For more information, visit oaklodgehistory.org, the OLHD Facebook page or call 971-645-9294.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.