Here's how the Milwaukie Center is coping during the COVID-19 crisis:
• The center is closed but our kitchen staff is still cooking and delivering over 200 meals per day to our Meals on Wheels recipients and the regular daily lunch clientele.
• We do not receive any funding from the Meals on Wheels People ads that are running on air frequently. They serve only Multnomah, Washington and Clark counties. It is deceiving, as their ads run in Clackamas County, and they say "serving the Portland Metropolitan area." It is frustrating for us, as we are certain that people are donating thinking they are helping those in Clackamas County and they are not.
• We also have social service staff on site assisting those that are in need of help.
• We have launched an appeal to help us to continue the good works we do.
• Bob Moore of Bob's Red Mill has just agreed to match up to $10,000 in our appeal to help bridge the gap of losing some major fundraisers such as the 26th Annual Quilt Show and Fabric Sale, our Gift Shop and our weekly Thursday night Bingo games.
• Donations can be made online at friendsofthemilwaukiecenter.org or by check to Friends of the Milwaukie Center, 5440 S.E. Kellogg Creek Drive, Milwaukie, OR 97222
Junia Stephens is director of development for Friends of the Milwaukie Center. For more information, visit friendsofthemilwaukiecenter.org.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.