Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Police tased James Marshall late Wednesday night after the man made 'threatening moves' towards officers.

Editor's note: This story has been updated Monday, Oct. 12, following James Marshall's death.

A Forest Grove man died Friday, Oct. 9, police attempted to stun him with a Taser during an altercation.

James Marshall, 44, was hospitalized and listed in critical condition after police deployed a Taser just after midnight Thursday morning, Oct. 8.

Family members said he died Friday night after having fallen into a coma, KPTV first reported.

Forest Grove police officers reportedly responded to a welfare check at 11:50 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 7, near the intersection of Elm Street and 15th Avenue in Forest Grove after a caller had reported a male with no shirt was "running up and down the street with a flagpole," police said Friday afternoon, Oct. 9.

Shortly after, at about 11:58 p.m., an officer located the man behind a church in the 1600 block of Elm Street.

Police said the man, identified as Marshall, was uncooperative, erratic and making threatening moves with the approximately 10-foot aluminum flagpole and appeared to be attempting to damage church property. Officers reportedly attempted to deescalate the situation for several minutes before using a Taser in an effort to take Marshall into custody.

Police said Marshall assaulted an officer before the Taser was used. Four Forest Grove police officers in total were involved.

According to police, Marshall appeared to be either suffering a behavioral health or drug-induced episode.

After being tased, Marshall stopped breathing, police reported. Officers noticed Marshall was in medical distress and began lifesaving efforts, using an automated external debrillator.

Marshall was treated by medical personnel and transported to an area hospital.

His wife later said in a Facebook post, which has since been removed or hidden from public view, that he experienced cardiac arrest and organ failure after being struck with the Taser stun device. She did not respond to questions from the Pamplin Media Group.

The family has put up a GoFundMe page to raise money to support Marshall's widow and help pay for any legal fees that arise.

Forest Grove Police Capt. Mike Hall, a spokesperson for the police department, said the incident is being investigated by the Washington County Major Crimes Team.

All of the officers involved are currently on administrative leave. That's standard procedure after a serious use-of-force incident. The officers' names have not yet been released.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework